|Scope & Content||
One document box and 3 flat boxes. Box 1 contains 6 folders, 8 envelopes, a hard copy book of the 1927-1928 Bulletin, and a N.J. Senate & General Assembly joint resolution.
Envelope 1- Woman's Club constitution & by-laws (1924)
Envelope 2- Woman's Club of Leonia calendar (1926-1927)
Envelope 3- Woman's Club officers, committees & members (1933-1934)
Envelope 4- Woman's Club bulletins (1943-1948)
Envelope 5- Woman's Club officers, committees & members
Envelope 6- Woman's Club officers, committees & members (1967-1968)
Envelope 7- Woman's Club officers, committees & members (1990-1991)
Envelope 8- Woman's Club anthology (1934-1936)
Folder 9- Historical material (1913-2009)
Folder 10- Music Department: 2 copies of a community chorus program from (1920), (1921,1922), program from Community Christmas Music Festival (1935), photograph of the Spring Musicale singers (1960s).
Folder 11- Art exhibition catalogs (1936-1963) & 1 photograph of an exhibit held at the elementary school (undated).
Folder 12- Garden Department: Includes N.J. Flower & Garden Show, N.J. State Federation of Woman's Clubs Conservation & Garden Dept., Federation of Garden Clubs of Bergen County, rock gardening (1954-1971)
Folder 13- Club activities: field trips- Corning Museum of Glass, Doris Duke Estate, Sterling Forest, Skyland Manor State Park, Washington's headquarters, Mohawk Mountain House, Wallace House, Garden Dept. activities (1960s-1970s)
Folder 14- Book covering 100th Annual convention of the N.J. State Federation of woman's clubs (1994).
|Source||The Woman's Club|
In April of 1913 Mrs. Wilbur Osler, wife of the mayor, addressed a group of women at the Parish House of the Episcopal Church with the idea of forming a branch of the House Wives League, a national organization devoted to uphold the enforcement of food laws. Eventually the House Wives League became the Homemakers Association. By 1919 the membership voted to join the New Jersey State Federation of Woman's Clubs. That same year they started a movement for a community Christmas tree which has become a part of Borough life.
The club developed various departments: art, drama, civics, garden, home economics, music, social services. In 1932 the Club which had an active drama and Shakespeare department, wrote and presented a play that took first prize in the state Woman's Club playwriting competition. In March of 1938, the Club established a scholarship to be awarded annually to a Leonia High School girl seeking an academic degree. For over 30 years the Woman's Club sponsored art exhibitions featuring the works of Leonia's professional artists.
The good work this Club does is long and varied, more tails of their activities may be found in the archives.